Gay Cook’s Thai noodle salad with shrimp
Published on July 19th 2012
Home » Living » Food and Drink » Gay Cook’s Thai noodle salad with shrimp
Makes 5 – 6 servings
This is a delicious one-dish-meal salad during our hot summer. Feel free to vary the vegetables depending on availability from cucumbers, green beans to broccoli florets or green peas instead of the snow peas.
- 8 ounces (250g) rice stick broad noodles
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 10 large shrimp or 150g 1½ cups small salad shrimp, frozen, cooked, deveined with tails on or off
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely chopped garlic
- 2 ounces snow pea, strings removed
- 3 green onions, cut into 1/4–inch (1 cm) pieces
- ½ medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 fresh small hot chillie, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2 tablespoons (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) coarsely chopped peanuts or cashews
- Soak noodles in a bowl, cover with hot water for 15 minutes to soften. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in 6-qt (L) saucepan. Drain noodles in colander and add to boiling water for 45 seconds or until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well. Cut into 4-inch (10 cm) lengths with scissors. Place in salad bowl.
- If using large shrimp, heat wok on high heat with half the oil until it smokes; add large shrimp tossing until they turn white and pink, 2 – 3 minutes. Cool and split in half lengthwise; set aside. If using small salad shrimp, stir-fry briefly to remove any excess water due to the freezing. If desired, remove tails. Set aside. Add rest of oil and add garlic and snow peas for 2 minutes on high heat constantly stir until peas are a vivid green. Place in salad bowl with noodles.
- Add green onions, red pepper strips, red onion slices, and cooked Chinese peas. Stir in juice from limes, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, hot chillies and toss well. Check if any more seasoning is necessary. Toss in cilantro, mint and the shrimp. Scatter nuts over the top.
If you have any questions about a recipe or other food question, please email:[email protected] or phone: 613-728-3253