- A ‘slush fund’ was money collected from the sale of slush: the refuse fat in the galleys of ships. The money was used to buy to buy small luxuries for the ship’s crew.
- Mathematical script is now the world’s dominant language, no matter whether the speaker is Arab, English-speaker, Hindi, Norwegian or Chinese.
- On February 9, 1928, John Logie Baird sent images of his own face from a studio in London, England, via land line to a transmitting station in Surrey and thence across the Atlantic to a receiving set in Hartsdate. NY.
- Elizabeth I was known to be very fastidious, and bathed once a month ‘whether she needed to or not’.
- March 8th is International Women’s Day around most of the world. Originally called International Working Women’s Day.