by Susan Hanna
This excellent recipe from Food and Wine is based on a recipe from Mamma Agata’s, a culinary school on Italy’s Amalfi Coast. Sear the shrimp with their shells on and set aside. Cook the shallots, potatoes and garlic and then add the tomatoes. Once the vegetables are cooked, stir the shrimp in and cook for another couple of minutes. Enjoy!
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Fresh and frozen shrimp are often treated with preservatives. I use frozen shrimp with only salt added. Look for a white wine with only naturally occurring sulfites. I used one from Frogpond Farm organic winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 1 pound (454 g) head-on jumbo shrimp
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium shallots, minced (about 1/3 cup/75 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml) seeded minced serrano chile (about 1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) dried oregano
- 13 ounces (369 g) baby Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered (about 2 cups/500 ml)
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced (about 1 teaspoon/5 ml)
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- 3 cups (750 ml) ripe cherry tomatoes (about 1 pound/454 g)
- 1 ¼ (6 ml) teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) ground white pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) torn fresh basil
- Using a knife, make a ¼-inch-deep (0.62 cm) cut along the back of each shrimp shell from head to tail. Leave shell and head intact. Using a small moistened paper towel and a paring knife, remove and discard the vein. Pat shrimp dry and set aside.
- Heat ¼ cup (60 ml) oil in a very large skillet over medium-high until shimmering and very hot. Add shrimp, and sear until shells are scorched, about 1 minute. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add shallots, chile, and oregano, and sauté until shallots are sizzling, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes and garlic, cover, and cook, shaking pan often, until edges of potatoes begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Uncover, add wine, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is nearly evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cover, and cook until tomatoes start to split and release their juices and potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook, turning occasionally, until shrimp are cooked