Here are some tips about soup-making before you start:
- Use fresh, seasonal ingredients whenever possible.
- Vegetables make the best thickeners for soup
- Flour, rolled oats or bulgur can also be used as thickeners.
- Never boil stock, since proteins in the bones, fat, and meat will break up and disperse through the stock, making it taste fatty.
- Never add salt to stock during cooking; wait until the end to taste and season .
- Onion skins contain a natural dye that makes stock a rich deep brown.