Sweet Tart Pastry Makes 1, 9-inch (22.5-cm) tart
- 6 tablespoons (75 mL) butter
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup (250 mL) unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) lemon zest
- Pinch salt
1. Place butter and sugar in food processor and process briefly and add yolk to process until creamy. Add the flour, lemon zest and salt and process just until dough forms. Remove the dough and knead with the heel of the hand until a smooth ball forms. Wrap and chill the dough for 25 minutes to rest the gluten.
2. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Place the dough in the centre of the tart pan; press it over the bottom and up the sides of pan. Use your thumb to even off the top edge. Prick the bottom with a fork 5-6 times to prevent expanding hot air causing pastry to bubble. Place tart pan in the freezer for 5 – 10 minutes to chill the dough. Bake for 18- 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan. If a bubble appears during baking, prick it and gently press it down. Cool, to make tart.
- Combine nuts and breadcrumbs plus 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of baked pastry shell.
- Quarter, peel and core apples. Cut them into thin lengthwise slices. Spread half the apples slices over the nut crumbs, press apples down to make layer even and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (25 mL) sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Arrange remaining apples starting at the edge in overlapped concentric circle pattern on top of first layer. Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar. Bake tart for 15 – 20 minutes until apples are cooked and tender by pricking slice with tip of a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile place jelly in small saucepan to melt over medium heat or microwave jelly for 40 – 60 seconds until melted. Whisk to make jelly smooth. While tart is hot, brush melted jelly on the apples for glaze.