The Millstone intended to profile of all provincial election candidates who were present at the All Candidates' Meeting at the Almonte Old Town Hall on September 15. The first candidate to reply to the Millstone is Scott Simsur, the Green Party Candidate. His profile is in an earlier post. The Millstone asked all candidates the same six questions it asked Mr. Simser.
- Tell us about yourself
- What motivated you to become a candidate for your party?
- What is the most compelling aspect of your party's platform?
- What is your greatest personal strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
Here are the answers from Liberal Candidate Megan Cornell.
- 1. I am a 37 year old business lawyer and mother of two. I have been a champion of small businesses in Kanata, Goulbourn and West Carleton as president of the Kanata chamber of Commerce. As a practicing lawyer, I represented the high tech sector, independent businesses and employees. As chair of a school board Accommodation Review Committee, I’ve been collaborating to find innovative solutions for school overcrowding. Active as a board member of the Ottawa Youth Services Bureau Foundation, I have seen first-hand the dire need for youth mental health services in our community.
I had been the candidate for the Liberal Party in 2007 in this riding because I believed in the work they had done over the previous four years and I believed in the platform direction for the next four years. Over the past four years since 2007 I have been working on numerous community projects and believe that I can be the most effective representative for our riding.
I am very excited about the direction that health care is taking in Ontario. There is a new focus on community based care as well as an emphasis on preventable health care, both of which will lower the overall cost of our previously hospital-dependent health care system. The health hub, which I have already been working to bring to our riding, will be a shining example of this.
My greatest personal strength is that I am a community builder. I excel at bringing people and groups together to accomplish community goals.
My greatest weakness is fantasy and science fiction. I like to read books like Lord of the Rings when I have time.
I am the only candidate who has spent the entire campaign telling voters who I am, what my values are, what I have previously accomplished in the riding and what I intend to work on over the next four years, if elected. I believe that local leadership matters.