The excitement of an Octoberfest taking place is gaining with the promise of a real Bavarian Fest. The three day event runs Sept. 28th, 29th until 30th in Clarke Fields in Wunder-Barrhaven just off Strandherd Drive. There will be fun activities from live oompah music, nights filled with popular local Ottawa bands to a Sunday Family Fun Day and guest actor George Wendt famous for the character on the long running TV series ‘Cheers’ is attending. Oktoberfest Ottawa is the signature fundraising event for the Rotary of Ottawa Kanata.
Octoberfest was first celebrated in Germany in 1810 and has since grown into a famous autumn festival around the world offering great beers and good food. This year you can savour the flavours of the regions’ best restaurants and taste HogsBack Brewing Company’s popular and award winning ‘Vintage Lager’ plus 3 new and exclusive limited batch traditional German style beers.
The Royal Oak will be serving up authentic Oktoberfest sausages on a bun topped with sauerkraut. Ross Independent will be grilling up German Bratwurst served with sauerkraut, German mustard and caramelized onions along with German potato salad. A Canadian tradition will be poutine made with Oktoberfest sausage, sauerkraut, cheese curds with HogsBack beer. Two Monkeys Coffeehouse, 14-4100 Stradherd Dr., is supplying coffee, lattes and cappuccino also dishing up some tasty treats like brownies, cookies, butter tarts and a delicious German coconut bar called a Kokosnuss-schnitten great with a glass of good beer. Tickets to the Fest are $20, available online atwww.OktoberfestOttawa.com <http://www.OktoberfestOttawa.com>
The contact at Two Monkeys is
14-4100 Strandherd Drive
The Two Monkey’s Coconut Pecan Squares (Kokosnuss -schnitten)
- 1 cup (250 ml) butter
- 3 cups (750 ml) brown sugar, divided
- 2 cup (500 ml) + 4 tbsp (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp(10 ml) vanilla
- 2 cup (500 ml) chopped pecans
- 2 cup 500 ml) flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Greased 9 X 13-inch ( pan 22.5 X 32.5 cm)
- Cream together 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar and 1 cup (250 ml) butter. Slowly add 2 cups (500 ml) flour and mix. Pat evenly into pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs. Add remaining brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat. Fold in remaining 4 tbsp. flour, pecans, and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for an additional 30 – 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into 24 equal squares.