by Dr. Jennifer Fergusson, Chiropractor
We are almost one full month into our new years resolutions. If yours was to “be more active” or “get in shape,” or “live a healthier lifestyle” then good for you! You are taking charge of your health. More and more research indicates that nothing contributes more to ill health than a sedentary lifestyle!
This time of year we get pummeled with information on how to make our goals and resolutions stick. The SMART strategy is one strategy often used when setting goals. This strategy encourages you to make your goals specific, measurable, assignable, realistic as well as time sensitive. This is great advice to follow.
So now you’ve written down your SMART goals and two weeks later they have been lost under a pile of paperwork on your desk, or fallen off the fridge or have been eaten by the dog.
The truth is that the majority of us need day to day motivation. So here are a few ways to increase the likely hood of making your health and fitness goals a success.
- Break your goals down into small, weekly goal. For example ‘ this week I will walk 3 times and do resistance training 2 times. Then at the end of the week reflect on your achievements. Also, if you need to figure out a solution for why you didn’t achieve your goals, then this is the time to do that. There are many apps available to help you log your progress and highlight your achievements.
- Use technology to your advantage. Most of us use the computer or a smart phone on a daily basis. There are many Apps on you phone or tablet that will send you a brand new workout each day, so you will never get bored.
- If you have an exercise plan already in place, then there are Apps that will send you daily motivational quotes to keep you feeling positive and excited about your goals.
- Need more motivation? – try sites like Pinterest and type the words ‘workouts,’ ‘motivation to exercise’ ‘ walking quotes’ or anything else related to your resolution into the search page. When you do this, you instantly receive pages and pages of motivational quotes, exercises, and recipe ideas that stare you right in the face. Just scroll through a couple of pages and I guarantee that you will want to head straight for the workout clothes.
- Need new exercise ideas or workouts? Try Youtube. Loads of free workout videos will pop up. Take your time and find videos that are right for your fitness level or modify exercises as needed.
- Find an exercise buddy. Someone who is going to hold you accountable for sticking to your goals. If you can’t find anyone, call me! Chiropractors are a great resource for safe exercises and modifications to exercises that can be used especially if you have an injury. Remember, it’s always a good idea to check with a health professional before you start a brand new exercise program.
Use technology to your advantage to help you reach your fitness and health goals! Your health is everything.
Dr. Jennifer Fergusson graduated Cum Laude with Clinic Honours from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College. She maintains a family practice in Almonte at the Hands on Healing Clinic.