by Gay Cook
I have to be honest when I say I have never enjoyed zucchini cooked as a vegetable but when it’s added in a cake, the vegetable comes alive and creates a very moist cake. A bundt cake is made in a fluted tube pan. I hope you will enjoy this one as much as my family.
- 3 cups (750 ml) zucchini, grated with the skin*
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) half granulated white and half brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) chocolate chips
- 2 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- ¾ cup (175 ml) plain Greek yogurt
*If zucchini is quite juicy, place the grated zucchini in a colander for a few minutes to drain juices and top with a little more zucchini if needed for the measurement.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease and lightly flour bundt pan.
2. Place sieve over a large mixing bowl; add flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar and shake the sifter to combine ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. In another bowl whisk together the eggs until frothy, then stir in the oil (or butter), vanilla, yogurt and zucchini Use a rubber spatula to fold egg mixture through the dry ingredients just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 60 minutes. Test doneness with a toothpick that it comes out clean.