by Susan Hanna
This arugula-almond pesto from Martha Stewart is quick and easy to make, colourful and bursting with flavour. Just whirl arugula, almonds, garlic lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and olive oil in your food processor and then toss with the pasta of your choice. Penne rigate has ridges, which help the sauce cling to the pasta.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Check the almonds to be sure they do not contain preservatives and use fresh lemon juice, not a concentrate. Check the label of the cheese to make sure it does not contain preservatives or colour – I use Splendido brand. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit www.eyeforarecipe.ca.
- 5 ounces (141 g) baby arugula, some leaves reserved for garnish
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) blanched almonds, toasted and chopped (2 ounces/56 g)
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan (1 ounce/28 g)
- Coarse salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 pound (454 g) penne rigate
Combine arugula, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor; season with salt. Pulse until coarsely pureed. With motor running, slowly add oil, processing to a paste.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; transfer pasta to a bowl. Add pesto and toss to coat evenly. Drizzle with oil, garnish with arugula leaves, and serve immediately.
From Martha Stewart Living