Clayton historical bus tour report

Bus
A Munro homestead on the Munro Line

The Lanark County Genealogical Society held a Historical Bus Tour of Clayton area last Saturday October 3. One hundred people from various parts of the province attended. We visited St. George’s Anglican Church and Guthrie United Church where church members relayed the history of these parishes. Three buses then took us to see the sites of the Anglican Cemetery, the Robertson/Kellough Cemetery, the United Cemetery. Many people walked in to visit the site of the Coulter/McMunn pioneer cemetery. We also pointed out the location of the pioneer Catholic cemetery.

As we drove through Clayton the many historic homes of the village were highlighted, as well as the former sites of the lime kiln, the grist mill, the saw mills, the tanning factory, the carding mill, harness shop, shoe shops, blacksmith shops and cheese factory. The various occupations of early members of the community were highlighted.

Then we drove up the Tatlock Road to the Munro line where we learned a little of the history of the very prolific Munro family. Our final destination was the Tatlock Marble mine.

Lunch and a brief program followed in the Clayton Hall.  An antique wooden yarn winder belonging to the pioneer Munro family was presented to David Murdoch as a donation to the Middleville Museum. Displays on local history were enjoyed by the visitors.

Lanark County Genealogical Society promotes the preservation of family history. Our next meeting is on Saturday, November 7 at 1:30 at the Drummond Community Hall/Archives Lanark, 1920 Drummond Con. 7. Our guest speaker will be John Reid whose gg grandfather came from Scotland to Lanark County in 1842. Everyone is welcome.