by Gay Cook
I scoured my cookbook for a salad recipe that does not call for local fresh vegetables as they are not yet available due to our chilly weather. So I chose the marinated bean salad, which can be served with grilled meats or a vegetarian meal.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.
- 14 oz (398 mL) can each red kidney and garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz (225 mL) can cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted, halved green and black olives
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) wine or cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Seasoning: Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine beans, celery, onion, parsley, olives, oil vinegar and garlic. Taste for seasoning as needed. Chill several hours before serving.