by Diana Filer
- An oblast is an administrative division in many of the countries of the former Soviet Union, such as Belarus, Russia, Bulgaria and Ukraine.
- May 22nd next is to be the first annual National Solitaire Day, so proclaimed by Microsoft.
- The recently elected president of Zimbabwe is Emmerson Mnangagwa, succeeding Robert Mugabe.
- Krishna Pandit Bhanji is the birth name of Sir Ben Kingsley, the British actor.
- The first woman bishop in the Anglican Church of Canada was Victoria Matthews, ordained in the diocese of Toronto in February. 1994.