by Gay Cook
Spring it a wonderful time to enjoy fresh local ingredients in salads with so many new green lettuces, bright red radishes, spring onions and new herbs found in markets.
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 6 cups (1 L) salad lettuce leaf greens from romaine to leaf lettuces, young beet leaves
- Mixture of romaine and leaf lettuce torn into slightly large bite-size pieces, placed in salad bowl.
1 onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
3/4 to 1 cup (175 ml to 250 ml) crumbled feta cheese
1 cup (250 ml) loosely packed fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
10 large leaves fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced radishes
4 to 5 spring onions thinly sliced to make 1/4 cup (50 ml), using part of the green
1/4 tsp (3 ml) dried oregano or 2 to 3 stems fresh oregano if available
1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
3/4 cup (175 ml) extra virgin olive oil (if available)
1 tsp (5 ml) salt or more to taste and1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- In the salad bowl, mash the garlic cloves with 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt, the basis of a great tasting salad.
- Dice the tomato(es) discarding seeds if there is an abundance; add to salad bowl along with the spring onions slices, sliced radishes, chopped parsley and diced feta cheese or any cheese you enjoy.
- Add the sliced cucumber(s) to the salad bowl along with onion, olives and crumbled cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Pour the vinaigrette into the salad bowl and toss well.
- Sprinkle more oregano and mint on top, then serve.