by Susan Hanna
This yummy salad from Chatelaine is a great side dish for grilled meats. Roast the sweet potatoes, toss with kale, goat cheese and toasted walnuts and drizzle with a balsamic reduction. If you don’t feel like making the reduction, try a balsamic-based vinaigrette.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Check the canola, goat cheese and walnuts to make sure they don’t contain additives. Look for a balsamic vinegar that has only naturally occurring sulfites. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into ½ -inch (1.27 cm) pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil, divided
- ¾ tsp (3 ml) salt, divided
- ½ cup (125 ml) halved walnuts
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped (about 10 cups/2.5 L)
- 4.4 oz (250 g) package of goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup (250 ml) balsamic vinegar
- Position racks in centre and lower third of oven. Preheat to 375F (190C). Toss sweet potatoes, with canola oil and ½ tsp (2 ml) salt on a large baking sheet until coated. Season with fresh pepper. Bake in centre of oven until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Spread out walnut halves on a small baking sheet. Toast in lower third of oven during last 5 minutes of sweet potatoes roasting.
- Boil balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over high. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until thickened, but still loose, about 25 minutes. It should measure about 3 tbsp (45 ml).
- Massage kale using your fingertips, in a large bowl until softened. Toss with 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil and remaining ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt. Divide among 4 plates. Top with roasted potatoes, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts. Drizzle with vinegar reduction. Serves 4.