by Diana Filer
- Groundhog Day began on February 2, 1867 in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. It is related to Imbolc, the pagan Celtic festival which evolved into Candlemas, marking the beginning of spring.
- Copra is the dried meat of the coconut.
- Lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world. It is 1,637 meters at its deepest point, and as well holds the record for being the world’s largest freshwater lake by volume.
- Louis Riel was born 175 years ago this year.
- Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, English and French are the official languages of Nunavut.