by Diana Filer
- Geechee, also known as Gullah, is the Creole dialect of the Georgia Sea Islands.
- Badminton is the sport that was first introduced at the 1992 Olympics.
- TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design when associated with TED talks.
- Norma Shearer, a native of Montreal, is Canada’s most nominated Oscar nominee. The National Film Board, though, has won 12 Academy Awards, and been nominated for 74 Oscars, more than any other film organization in the world outside Hollywood.
- Kinnikinnick, or bearberry, is a herb mostly grown at high levels in Canada. Traditionally it has been used by First Nations people for smoking, and in the belief that it is a remedy for infections, and was used as a food by the Blackfoot Nation.