Need a break from all this winter snow? Need a break from cooking?
Join us at the Almonte Civitan Club Friday, March 1, serving from 5-7 pm for a warm, satisfying spaghetti supper complete with Caesar Salad, garlic bread and desserts. This is one of two major fundraisers the Almonte Junior Civitans run each year to help them carry out their mandate of “making the world a better place.”
The Junior Civitan Club, sponsored by the adult Civitan Club in 2008 are kids in grades 7-12 who earn necessary community hours for school as they volunteer for a variety of projects. They are supported by Civitan Advisors who are rewarded with pride and a lot of laughs working with these wonderful young people – currently 6 boys and 7 girls.
This year these active youth:
- supported The Mills Group Home Hallowe’en Dance
- helped seniors at Fairview Manor play bingo and provided the prize money
- purchased and placed a wreathe at the Cenotaph during the Remembrance Day Service
- staffed a coat check for the Interval House Violet Femmes Dinner donating the proceeds
- donated to the Notre Dame Guatemala Mission Trip to take place this spring.
- donated to The Mills/Hub Angel Tree program
- donated to the Lions/Civitan Christmas Hamper project and helped fill hampers
- worked with the Senior Club to serve a Christmas turkey dinner for the group homes in Mississippi Mills.
- donated to Light Up the Night
- donated to two of the Jr Civitan International projects that support the Civitan International Research Center in Alabama.
And that was just the first quarter! There is more to do before we break in early June.
The Juniors have elected officers who lead their business meetings but all learn leadership skills as they carry out their various projects. They meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month at the Almonte Civitan Hall at 7:30 pm. You might even find them cutting milk bags and weaving them onto a loom to make mats for Haiti as part of their Selection Collection project!