by Susan Hanna
This is a great recipe that uses buttermilk and pickle juice in a marinade that yields moist and delicious chicken. After marinating the chicken, place it on a sheet pan with carrots and potatoes. Roast for 40 minutes, then add cherry tomatoes and roast for another 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove the chicken and set it aside. Scatter kale (I used hardy mixed greens) over the vegetables and broil until the greens and vegetables are slightly charred. I used regular mini potatoes instead of mini sweet potatoes.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Many pickles contain preservatives. I used juice from a jar of Putter’s dill pickles. Make sure the smoked paprika doesn’t contain colour, flavour or anti-caking agents. I used Syren brand.
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) buttermilk
- ⅓ cup (82.5 ml) pickle juice (from dill pickles or cornichons)
- Half onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) each smoked paprika and pepper
Chicken and vegetables
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.5 kg/3.3 lbs), cut in 8 pieces (or 2 each bone-in skin-on chicken breasts and legs, halved)
- 1 bunch carrots (with stems), leaves trimmed
- 1 680 g (1.5 lb) bag mini sweet potatoes, halved diagonally
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) each salt and pepper, divided
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn in large pieces
- In large resealable plastic bag, combine buttermilk, pickle juice, onion, garlic, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Add chicken to marinade; seal bag. Massage to evenly coat. Place on baking sheet; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Halve any larger carrots lengthwise. On pan, toss together carrots, sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil and ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) each of the salt and pepper.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade; pat dry with paper towel. Place in large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil; sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) each salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Arrange over vegetables. Roast until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes, adding tomatoes during last 10 minutes of cooking. Transfer chicken to plate; loosely cover with foil.
- Broil vegetables for 2 minutes; remove from oven. Scatter kale over vegetables, gently tossing to coat. Broil until kale is crisp and vegetables are slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
From Canadian Living