by Diana Filer
- Emperor Akihito of Japan will abdicate his throne on April 30th , the first Japanese emperor to do so in over 200 years.
- The world’s largest democracy is India, which may soon outrank China in largest population. China maintains that it is a socialist democracy, with the Communist party acting as the central authority in the interests of the people.
- Elvis Presley has sold over a billion units of his songs, but some are not counted, as they were sold as 45’s, not albums.
- Identity politics refers to the tendency of groups of people to form exclusive political alliances based on shared religion, race or social background, rather than on traditional party politics.
- Although born in the Italian Alps, Titian’s early talent took him to Venice, where he became a citizen and the city’s greatest Renaissance painter.