Michelle De Grandmont RPN
Foot Care Nurse
Owner Soft Soles Advanced Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic Foot Care Education
Did you know that there are approximately 2.3 million Canadians who live with diabetes and of that, 14-24% run the risk of developing a foot ulcer? Diabetes can cause nerve damage and poor blood flow/ circulation to both the feet and legs. As a result, people with diabetes are less likely to feel an injury and this can cause infections, foot ulcers, and lead to serious complications that result in amputation.
For people with Diabetes, it is important that they perform daily foot care to avoid serious complications.
Tips to maintain healthy feet
- Examine your feet and legs daily, including between your toes (use a mirror to see them bottom of your feet). Be aware of abnormities such as sores, bleeding, broken skin, redness, etc.
- Wear proper footwear that does not restrict the feet including loose fitting socks.
- Wash your feet with warm water, and avoid soaking them (this can cause dry feet).
- Apply lotion to your feet when dry (do not apply between toes).
- Care for your nails regularly (this is best performed by an expert who specializes in Diabetic foot care).
- Never go bare foot. Ensure that you are wearing shoes both indoors and out.
- Elevate your feet when possible.
- Exercise to improve circulation.
- Regular medical foot care by a foot care nurse.
- Medical advise provided by your doctor or NP can keep you safe.
Foot care is an essential part of preventative health care. With a combination of daily foot care examinations and seeing a foot care specialist, this will reduce the likelihood of foot problems that can arise. If any abnormities appear such as corns, calluses, fungal infections, warts, and other wounds it is best to contact a foot care nurse, a chiropodist or speak to you family doctor as soon as possible.
At Soft Soles, we specialize in lower limb health. We have clinic locations across Ottawa, Almonte, Kanata, Stittsville, Dunrobin and Carp. For questions or to book an appointment contact us at (613) 621-0012 or online at https://softsoles.janeapp.com/