by Susan Hanna
Sausage, spinach, cheese, pasta — comfort food at its best! This recipe is from a magazine ad for dairy products and it’s great for supper on a cold winter night. Cook pasta shells and drain. Meanwhile, cook the onion, garlic and sausage. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts. Transfer the meat mixture to a bowl and add the cheeses. Spread the tomato sauce over the bottom of a baking dish, stuff the shells, place them on top of the sauce and bake.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Look for sausages without additives, such as PC Free From brand. Tre Stelle ricotta is additive-free, as is genuine Parmesan cheese. I used Hunt’s tomato sauce. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 32 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 6 oz (170 g) of spinach, chopped finely
- 14 oz (400) of ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) of sea salt
- 22 ounces (640 ml) of store-bought tomato sauce
- Fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta shells according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the shells are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian sausages. Using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage meat and sauté until fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the ricotta cheese, ½ cup (125 ml) of the grated Parmesan cheese and the sea salt, and mix to combine.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the bottom of a large baking dish. Generously fill the cooked shells with the sausage and cheese mixture and set over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining Saputo grated Parmesan cheese and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden. Garnish with Italian parsley and serve.
From Saputo Dairy Products