by Susan Hanna
This recipe, adapted from Half Baked Harvest, takes about 15 minutes to cook, once you have assembled the ingredients. Toss chicken with cornstarch, turmeric, ginger and pepper, then stir fry until browned. Add shallots, broccoli and cashews and cook for another few minutes. Stir in the honey-soy-rice vinegar sauce and simmer for about five minutes. Serve over rice or rice noodles.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Make sure your dried spices don’t contain colour or anti-caking agents. Use tamari instead of soy sauce. I use Marukan rice vinegar. Always use freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch or flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 ml) black pepper, using more or less to your taste
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60 ml) low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium shallots, sliced or chopped
- 2 small heads broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw cashews
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh basil or cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, cornstarch, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil.
- In a glass jar, combine the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, and ¼ cup (60 ml) water.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml( oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and brown all over, until it becomes crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots, broccoli, and cashews, cook another 2-3 minutes, until the broccoli is charring. Pour in the honey/soy sauce mix. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the sauce coats the chicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest, lime juice, and the basil.
- Serve over cooked rice or rice noodles, with additional basil and lime wedges.
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest