1. The Pan Am Games will be held in Toronto next year.
2. A muselet is a wire cage fitted over the cork on a bottle of champagne or other wine to stop the cork from popping out.
3. In Greek mythology, Otrera was the first Queen of the Amazons, and is sometimes considered the founder of the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.
4. Salicin, the working ingredient of aspirin, before being produced synthetically, originally came from the bark of the white willow tree. It has been used as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever since ancient times. Salix, the root for the word acetylsalicylic (acid), is the Latin word for willow.
5. The University of Kareein (al-Karaouine) in Fez, Morocco, was founded in 859 AD, and is the oldest existing and continually operating institution of higher learning. The physician and rabbi Maimonides is an alumnus.