by Susan Hanna
I love pasta salads and this one from Half Baked Harvest is full of my favourite ingredients: fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, deli meat, fresh mozzarella and arugula. This salad, which can be made ahead, is bursting with flavour and would make a great lunch or light dinner. Cook’s note: I used prosciutto instead of salami.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
I used Eden Organic red wine vinegar, Unico artichoke hearts, Unico roasted red peppers and Savor sun-dried tomatoes. All are additive-free. Genuine prosciutto and Parmesan are additive-free—look for the cheese’s name stamped on the rind. Check the pine nuts to make sure they don’t contain preservatives. Tre Stelle fresh mozzarella is additive- and colour-free. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 1 pound (454 g) short cut pasta
- 1/3 cup (82 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) champagne or red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, grated
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh thyme leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) toasted pine nuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 jar (14-ounce/396 g) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) oil packed sun-dried tomatoes oil, drained and chopped
- 4 ounces (113 g) spicy salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces (226 g) fresh mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 1-2 cups (250-500 ml) baby arugula
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta to al dente, according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, to a large serving bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, the shallot, thyme, lemon zest, parmesan, pine nuts (if using), and a pinch each of crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add half the basil and the hot pasta and toss vigorously to combine.
- Add the bell peppers, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, salami, mozzarella, and half the arugula, tossing to combine. At this point, the salad can be served warm or cooled and kept in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- To serve, bring the pasta to room temperature. Top with the remaining arugula and basil. Season with freshly cracked pepper and salt.
From Half Baked Harvest