by Susan HannaThis recipe from Food and Wine calls for marinated artichoke hearts and meaty green olives. After browning the chicken thighs, transfer to a baking dish and scatter artichoke hearts, olives, garlic, lemon slices and thyme on top. Bake and serve!
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Look for artichoke hearts and olives that are preservative-free. I use Imagine brand stock and Cock brand fish sauce. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For A Recipe.
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (3 ¾ pounds/1.7 kg)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces (425 g) marinated artichoke hearts, plus ¼ cup (60 ml) brine from the jar
- 1 cup (250 ml) green olives
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- ½ cup (125 ml) semidry sherry, such as amontillado
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Asian fish sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C). Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet or black steel pan, heat the oil. Add half of the chicken skin side down and top the pieces (not the pan) with a pot lid; cook over moderate heat until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer skin side up to a large baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Scatter the artichoke hearts, olives, garlic, lemon slices and thyme in the baking dish.
- Pour off the fat from the skillet. Add the artichoke brine, stock, sherry and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt, then pour the mixture around the chicken. Cover tightly with foil and braise in the oven for 1 hour, until the chicken is very tender.
- Uncover and increase the oven temperature to 400° F (204° C) Roast the chicken for 15 minutes longer, until the skin is crisp.
- Discard the thyme. Transfer to plates and serve. Serves 4-6.
From Food and Wine