Monday, March 4, 2024
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

AGH Emergency Department closed on evening of March 2

The Emergency Department at Almonte General Hospital...
NewsCarbon monoxide detectors now required in Ontario homes

Carbon monoxide detectors now required in Ontario homes


from the Town of Mississippi Mills

Ontario is taking another step to keep families and homes in Ontario safe by making carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all residential homes. Carbon monoxide detectors will now be required near all sleeping areas in residential homes, and in the service rooms and adjacent sleeping areas in multi-residential units.

Carbon monoxide alarms can be hard-wired, battery-operated or plugged into the wall. The testing and maintenance elements of the regulations come into force on October 15, 2014.

The CO alarm installation and replacement requirements will have a phased implementation of 6 months (April 15, 2015) for buildings that contain no more than six suites of residential occupancy  or 1 year (October 15, 2015) for buildings that contain more than six suites of residential occupancy are required to comply with the installation and replacement requirements within 12 months of the in-force date (October 15, 2015, at the latest).

The Mississippi Mills Fire department will be working hard at educating our residents in the next 6 months.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Quick Facts

  • More than 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.
  • Bill 77, an Act to Proclaim Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week and to amend the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, received royal assent in December 2013.
  • The first Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week will take place November 1-8, 2014.
  • The Ontario Building Code requires the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in homes and other residential buildings built after 2001

For more information please see the attached Carbon Monoxide Q&A.




From the Archives