by Susan Hanna
This recipe from Real Simple combines chicken thighs with red onion, garlic and radishes, topped with a luscious sauce. Brown the thighs and set aside. Soften the garlic and onion, add the radishes, return the chicken to the pan and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and vegetables and make the quick pan sauce. Cook’s note: I used scallions instead of chives and omitted the baguette slices. Also, for juicier chicken, liberally salt the thighs up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate, uncovered. If you do this, omit the salt from the recipe. Let the chicken come to room temperature before beginning the recipe.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
I used Imagine Organic broth and President’s Choice unsalted butter. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds/1.36 kg total)
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 ml) kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 12 ounces (340 g) red radishes, quartered
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 4 baguette slices, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Season chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt and the pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil in a large oven-safe skillet (not non-stick) over medium-high. Add 4 chicken thighs, skin side down; cook, undisturbed, until deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Flip and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Pour fat out of skillet. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil and 4 chicken thighs; do not wipe skillet clean after second batch.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium-high, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in radishes and nestle chicken into mixture. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°F (74°C), 15 to 17 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and radish mixture to a platter. Return skillet to medium-high. Add broth and cook, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet to loosen browned bits, until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice, chives, and remaining ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt. Spoon sauce over chicken and radish mixture. Serve with baguette slices.
From Real Simple