by Susan Hanna
This chicken dish from Half Baked Harvest tops pan-fried chicken cutlets with a thyme-infused butter sauce, sautéed cherry tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella and basil. Tasty, quick and seasonal.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Use butter that contains only cream, with no colour added. Make sure your hot pepper flakes do not contain colour or anti-caking agents. I used Tre Stelle bocconcini, which is additive-free. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (about ¾-inch/1.9-cm thick)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 10 tablespoons (150 ml) cold salted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh chopped thyme
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces (113 g) buffalo or regular mozzarella, torn
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh basil, torn
- Place the egg and flour in separate shallow bowls.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge both sides of the chicken through the egg, and then through the flour, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on a plate.
- In an oven-safe skillet set over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) thyme, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the tomatoes begin to pop, about 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer the tomatoes to a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt together 4 tablespoons (60 ml) butter and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook until the bottom side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken and add 6 tablespoons (90 ml) butter and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) thyme, swirling the butter around the chicken. Cook, basting the chicken in butter until the chicken is cooked and golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
- Remove from the heat, add the mozzarella around the chicken. Spoon the tomatoes and lemon juice over top. Transfer to the oven, broil 1 minute, until the cheese is melted. Serve topped with lots of fresh basil.
From Half Baked Harvest