by Marilyn Snedden
Last week another major change took place at the North Lanark Agricultural Society grounds, commonly known as the Almonte Fairgrounds.
The murals once located across from the Bank of Montreal — then moved to the back of the grandstand, and then removed when the grandstand was renovated last year courtesy of the Senstar volunteers on their “Good Deeds Day” — were hung high again.
Noreen Young and her committee began the project many years ago to have Angela Williard paint murals of many of the people who were an important part of the town and the surrounding area. The resulting collection of beautiful artworks spent many years high above Mill Street. There was a plaque on the street listing the names of each and their contribution to the community.
Then when the building was sold and renovations began, the murals had to come down and find a new home. By then the paint was peeling and they needed to be refreshed. Much time and thought went into finding a suitable home for them so now they can be seen in various locations.
The three that pertained to farming families were re-installed on the back of the grandstand where they now look down from their perch on the new steel wall. Plaques denoting their names will be installed by fair time on July 14 . All three are descendants of families who arrived in 1821 with the Lanark Society settlers from the Glasgow, Scotland area. They are Amy(Coulter) Steele ( Mrs.John) (1859-1930), Norman Paul (1900-1990) and Alexander Snedden (1795-1867).