5 to 6 servings
Fresh cauliflower heads are available these days in most markets. They make a delicious cheesy dish when the cauliflower is precooked then added to a cheese sauce and finished in the oven.
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped or 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or 2 slices bacon cut into small slices
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated medium cheddar or Gruyere
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt or to taste
- ½ cup (135 ml) breadcrumbs or Panko crumbs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grated cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soft or melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter 8-inch (2 L) casserole
2. In pot of boiling, salted water, cook cauliflower 4 – 5 minutes or just until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Melt butter in large skillet or fry the bacon until lightly crisp and sauté onion or leek for 5 minutes until tender but not browned. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, then whisk in milk and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese; when cheese is melted, pour over cauliflower until well coated. Transfer to prepared casserole.
To make topping, combine crumbs, cheese and butter: sprinkle on top. Bake casserole 20 minutes until golden on top.
To Readers: if you have any question about this recipe or anything else related to food, please feel free to email me at email@example.com