by Gay Cook
makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2½ to 3 lb (1¼ to 1½ kg whole chicken, fat removed
- 1 onion, 1 carrot and 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 parsley stems, 1 bay leaf and 3 whole cloves
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Wash chicken inside and out. Pat dry.
2. In oven-proof casserole with lid, place chicken with breast side up. Add enough hot water to come 2” (5 cm) up the sides of the chicken. Add onion, celery, parsley, bay leave and cloves. Salt to taste. Add neck, heart and gizzard if available. Cover and cook 1 hour or until chicken falls apart.
3. Lift chicken out; cool 10 minutes. Skim fat from the surface of the chicken liquid. Remove meat from bones. Return bones to stock and continue to cook stock another hour.
4. Strain stock and measure 2 cups (500 ml) for sauce. Cut or shred chicken into bit-size chicken pieces.
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter or any chicken fat, melted on the stove
- 1/2 lb (60 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tbsp (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125) 18% cream or whipping cream
- Seasoning: 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped parsley
1. Heat 2 tbsp fat in saucepan on high heat and sauté mushrooms quickly for 1 minute. Remove and reserve. Reduce heat to medium; add remaining fat; mix in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in stock until smooth and gently cook for 5 minutes. Whisk in cream. Season. Stir in chicken and mushrooms. Season again if needed. Garnish.