The tomatoes in our garden last week were fully ripened and at their peak of flavour. It was the moment to go into the preserving mode. My favorite method for ripe tomatoes is keep the skins on, cut out the core in a V-shape and coarsely chop them in a food processor; pour the chopped tomatoes into 2-cup (500 ml) zip-lock plastic bags and freeze. The simple mixture is perfect for soups or casseroles throughout the winter. Here is delicious tomato soup recipe.
4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups (500 ml) frozen chopped fresh chopped tomatoes with skins
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter and vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, coarsely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 cups (750 ml) rich chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) sugar or to taste2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the butter and oil in large saucepan over medium heat; add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomato and stock; bring to a simmer for 20 minutes and vegetables are very soft.
- Blend the soup. To serve, heat soup and sprinkle on cilantro.