These chicken fingers are popular in our family, especially with the grandchildren. Feel free to use the dips or any other favourite dip. Kids love it for a birthday party and is just as popular for an adults dinner or party.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot-pepper sauce or taste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) panko or soft breadcrumbs*
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) melted butter
- To cut chicken into strips, press down on the thickest part of the breast with the flat side of a chef’s knife to even the thickness. Cut each chicken breast against the grain into long strips about 1/2-inch (2 cm) by 3-inches (7.5 cm) in length.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, hot pepper sauce, maple syrup, salt and toss in chicken. Cover and refrigerated for up to 2 hours or longer.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C). Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Remove chicken from the marinade turn in the crumbs patting each piece so crumbs adhere to all sides of chicken strips and place on baking sheet. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes turning once and chicken is no longer pink inside and firm to the touch.
*To make breadcrumbs, remove bread crusts and tear 1 or 2 bread slices into several pieces; pulse in food processor until crumbs form. Toss with melted butter in shallow dish.
Peanut Butter Dip: makes about 3/4 cup (175 ml)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) chunky or plain, natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) or more to taste of ground hot cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- Salt to taste
In a bowl, whisk together peanut butter and milk then the pepper, lemon juice and salt if neede
Tomato Olive Sauce: makes about 1 cup (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped bacon about 2 slices
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned minced tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pitted black or green olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp (125 ml) chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and saute until it is slightly crisped. Add tomatoes and bring to simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in olives and parsley and season to taste.
Thai Curry Dip: Makes about ½ cup (125 ml)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) red Thai curry paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lime rind
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
In small saucepan, combine paste, milk, fish sauce, lime rind and juice; bring to simmer about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly. Season.