by Susan Hanna
This recipe from Half Baked Harvest combines grilled salmon with a hearty salad of orzo, chickpeas, red pepper, tomato, olives, cucumber, avocado, herbs and lemon-infused feta cheese. Healthy, colourful and delicious.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Look for a balsamic vinegar with no sulphites added, such as La Bonissima brand. Make sure your dried spices don’t contain colour or anti-caking agents. Tre Stelle feta is additive-free. Roast your own pepper or look for jarred roasted peppers with no additives, such as Pilaros brand. Unico or Blue Menu chickpeas are additive-free. I used President’s Choice garlic-stuffed olives, which contain no preservatives. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 4 (5-6 ounce/140-170 g) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tablespoon/15 ml dried oregano)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- Red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, sliced and seeds removed – use to your taste
- 8 ounces (226 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh basil, dill, and or mint, chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) cooked orzo
- 1/3 cup (82 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh basil, dill, and or chives, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce/396 g) can chickpeas drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (125 ml) green olives
- ½ cup (125 ml) cucumber
- 1 avocado, diced
- Place the salmon in a 9×13 inch (22×33 cm) baking dish. Add 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, paprika, oregano, shallot, garlic, and a pinch each of crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Rub the seasonings and oil evenly into flesh. Toss the lemon slices into the oil.
- To make the salad. Add the orzo, olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, herbs, and a pinch each of crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a large serving bowl. Add the chickpeas, red peppers, tomatoes, olives, and avocado, toss to combine.
- Heat your grill, grill pan, or skillet to medium high heat. Place the salmon on the grill, skin side down. Add the lemon slices. Cover and cook until skin is lightly charred, 4-5 minutes, flip the salmon and lemons, grill another 3-4 minutes until opaque. Remove everything from the grill.
- Finely chop the lemon slices and mix them with the herbs, crumbled feta, and 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the feta to the orzo salad.
- Divide the salad between plates. Add the salmon and sprinkle with lemon feta. Top with lots of fresh herbs, and an extra squeeze of lemon, if desired. Serves 4.
From Half Baked Harvest