It is important to know that Lyme disease transmission depends on the length of time the tick is attached. If the tick or nymph is removed within 24 hours of when it may have attached to you, then you have a minimal risk of acquiring Lyme disease. If the tick or nymph has been attached for longer than 24 hours and does carry the bacteria, you are at an increased risk of getting Lyme disease. When a tick has been attached to you greater than 24 hours and it looks like it has fed and is enlarged, it is recommended that you contact your health care provider and advise them of this. Remember, not all ticks carry the bacteria. Tick submissions to the health unit are no longer accepted as this was for surveillance only.
If you have been bitten by a tick, watch for symptoms of Lyme disease: bulls eye rash around a bite area, headache, fever and muscle/joint pain. Consult your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.