Makes 5 Servings
My daughter Kelly is visiting Peru so I decided to make this popular Peruvian quinoa salad for her. I enjoy adding the small bell peppers that are available locally these days. Unfortunately fresh corn is not in season now but frozen or canned is tasty.
- 1 cup (250 ml) quinoa
- 2 green onions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 local red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) canned or frozen corn kernels
- 1 young carrot, grated
- 2 green onions, both white and green parts thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh chives, tarragon, coriander or any herb
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white wine or Asian vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) 60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) maple syrup or honey
- Salt and pepper to taste and pinch red chilli or to taste
1. Rinse quinoa in sieve under warm water; drain and add to saucepan with 2 cups (500 ml) water to cook about 12 minutes or until tender. Drain if there is any water left. Cool to room temperature.
2. In the salad bowl toss cooked quinoa with the green onion, bell peppers, corn, grated carrot, herbs, vinegar, oil and maple syrup, Season to taste with salt and pepper and chilli.