We love chicken wings and this recipe from the LCBO is a new favourite. Toss the wings in dried basil, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper and then coat them with a mixture of Parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs and lemon zest. Bake them for 30-40 minutes and serve. They are savoury, crunchy and addictive!
Cook’s note – be sure to zest the lemon before squeezing it.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Check the ingredients for the dried spices to be sure they don’t contain colour or anti-cakingagents. Look for panko and Parmesan with no artificial ingredients. I use President’s Choice Parmesan and ShaSha brand breadcrumbs, which are similar to panko in texture but are made from spelt. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit www.eyeforarecipe.ca.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 2 lbs (1 kg) chicken winglets and drumettes
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together basil, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add wings and toss well.
- In a second large bowl, stir together Parmesan, bread crumbs and lemon zest. Toss wings in Parmesan mixture to coat well.
- Spread wings out on baking sheet and sprinkle with any remaining Parmesan mixture. Roast, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes. Serves 2-4.
From the LCBO What’s For Dinner publication