When I saw this recipe in the July 2016 issue of Bon Appetit, I knew I had to make it. Aside from containing so many of my favourite ingredients — roasted red peppers, basil, olives, cheese —it looks absolutely gorgeous. And you can even make it ahead! Bake red pepper halves with anchovies, garlic and basil and then top with a delicious basil oil, cherry tomatoes, cheese and olives. The recipe calls for ricotta but you can use bocconcini or buffalo mozzarella.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Make sure the anchovies and cheese have no preservatives added. I used President’s Choice garlic-stuffed green olives, which are additive-free. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For A Recipe.
- 4 red bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) basil leaves, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) plus ⅓ cup (75 ml) olive oil
- 1 pint (500 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pitted small black and/or green olives
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Place bell peppers, skin side down, in a shallow baking dish and top with anchovies and garlic. Tear ¼ cup (60 ml) basil leaves over top, season with kosher salt and black pepper, and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) oil. Bake until peppers are tender but still hold their shape and are slightly charred around edges, 35–45 minutes. Let cool. Refrigerate if not serving right away.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining ¾ cup (175 ml) basil and remaining ⅓ cup (75 ml) oil in a blender until smooth; season basil oil with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Arrange bell peppers on a platter. Top with tomatoes, ricotta, olives, and more basil, then drizzle with basil oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Serves 8.
From the July 2016 issue of Bon Appetit