by Susan Hanna
This recipe from Bon Appetit is easy to make, quick and tasty. Blitz hot peppers, garlic, fish sauce, salt and oil in a blender and toss with raw shrimp. After the shrimp have marinated for a few minutes, cook them in a hot pan until cooked through and slightly charred. Add basil and toss until it wilts.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Cock brand fish sauce has no preservatives. Look for frozen shrimp with no additives. If buying fresh shrimp, check to make sure it has not been treated with a preservative. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 3 hot chiles, such as jalapeno, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. (60 ml) vegetable or grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 lb. (454 g) large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 cups (500 ml) basil leaves (about 1 bunch)
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Blend chiles, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, salt, and 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) oil in a blender until smooth. Transfer marinade to a medium bowl and add shrimp; toss to coat. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Just when oil begins to smoke and working in batches if needed, add shrimp, leaving marinade behind, and cook, turning once, until lightly charred around the edges, about 1 minute per side. Remove pan from heat. Add basil and toss vigorously until basil is wilted.
- Transfer shrimp mixture to a platter. Serve with lime wedges alongside.
From Bon Appetit