by Theresa Peluso
Our new Council – What’s the rush?
Dear fellow residents of Mississippi Mills,
It looks like our new Council can’t wait to get started. They’re getting very busy, very quickly, right in the middle of everyone’s hectic pre-Christmas preparations, by calling a meeting before the regularly scheduled December 18 meeting.
You are encouraged to attend, to find out just what is so important that it can’t wait a week. The agenda is very vague on details. Here it is:
- CALL TO ORDER
C. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
D. DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY INTEREST
E. CONSIDERATION OF A CLOSED SESSION
1. Acting Positions – Personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees (Municipal Act s. 239 2(b))
2. Update on Legal Matters – Advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose (Municipal Act s. 239 2(f)).
F. OTHER NEW BUSINESS
1. Composition of Striking Committee
2. Review of Advisory Committees
3. Application deadlines for Committees and Boards
4. Reverse Zoning on Don Maynard Park
5. MRPC Council representative
6. Cavanagh recognition – Enerdu
G. CONFIRMATORY BY-LAW – 18-105
It’s not clear to me how holding a quick meeting like this will enable our new Council to honour their pre-election commitments to greater transparency, community involvement and inclusiveness. In the meantime, you may be interested in exploring these links:
Procedural bylaw: https://www.mississippimills.ca/en/townhall/bylaws.asp
Role of the Lanark County Integrity Commissioner and of the Ontario Municipal Ombudsman: https://www.ombudsman.on.ca/have-a-complaint/who-we-oversee/municipalities
Please turn out in force on December 11 at
6 p.m. 5 p.m., at the Municipal Office, 3131 Old Perth Road, to show our new Council that we ALL need and want to be equal partners in working towards a vibrant, friendly sustainable community.