This past July, members of the Augusta Street Park Community Committee created a free musical concert series in Augusta Street Park, “5 Wednesdays in July.” Our hearts were warmed by the response. We want to thank the following volunteers, (our sincere apologies for anyone we may have missed) –
- Rick Herera for creating a wonderful poster
- All the open mic performers at all 5 shows; performing were everyone from seasoned professionals to youth debuting their talent
- Our headliners: Johnny Spinks and Marc Gosset, Judge a Book, Arlene Quinn, Barry Buse and Redneck Limousine, and Jennifer Noxon and Brendan Gawn
- Cavanagh Construction for the weekly use of a rolling stage
- The Hub for donations that covered the cost of an accessible and portable washroom as well as the services of Shawn de Salvo Photography for “rocket ship” family portraits
- Shawn de Salvo Photography
- Brenda and Doug Parsons for retrieving the stage each Wednesday, then returning it each Thursday morning and for the use of their storage trailer and all round support
- Kris Klickermann for the use of his truck
- The Almonte Civitan Club for hosting barbeques on 3 of the 5 nights
- Lanark Pure Water for water each night
- Mike Dean’s for their donation of buns and burgers
- Betty Bread for their donation of buns
- Parkside residence for selling drinks
- Maude Street residence for selling their baked goods
- Jay Patel of Subway restaurant for a donation of napkins
- Tommy Lam of Shopper’s Drug Mart for hand wipes
- Patrice’s for hotdogs and buns for the first concert
- Eleanor Giles brought pizza she got donated from Milano’s and JRs for first potluck.
- Chelsea Powell, Janice Aiken, Jessica Francouer, and Marlene Manners for selling refreshment tickets
- Thanks to Jade Hooper for posters and setting up chairs
- Maude Street residence for putting up posters
- Our set up and tear down team of Richard Fitzpatrick, Scott Hooper, Skye Filion
- Jacob Joron and his mom and dad, Gord St. Aubin and Craig Rogers for their sound expertise and the use of their sound equipment
- TYPS for their help with our community potlucks and general set up and tear down
- Marlene Manners for donating a gift basket of Arbonne products
- Jessica Kennedy for stepping up and hosting a yard sale this Saturday, August 3rd, from 7-11 at the corner of Ottawa and Florence Streets. If you are interested in donating any items or hosting a table with the proceeds going to the park. For more information, please get in touch with Jessica – firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-816-1997
- The Town of Mississippi Mills for their tents, garbage cans, recycling bins tables, and chairs
- Mills Community Support
These concerts were first and foremost about neighbours, new and old, coming together, meeting each other, having their kids play in the park, and celebrating local live music and summertime. We weren’t looking at these events as fundraisers. We just wanted to cover our costs. It is our belief that people want these kinds of events, actually need these kinds of events and are willing to pitch in to make them happen.
The cost for all 5 concerts was $1033.53. The Hub gave us $400. We sold $1224.75 dollars’ worth of food and visitors generously donated $649.30 for a total amount of $1240.52 to help our park. And we had a grand time!
Augusta Street Park Community Committee: Linda Nilson, Barb MacInnis, Alyssa Comstock, Kate Hallas, Paul Watters, Calvin Murphy, Jeff Mills.
Interested in doing this again next year? Got some suggestions? Want to get involved with Augusta Park? Want to donate? Let us know. We’d love to hear from you. Contact committee chair, Jeff Mills, Mills Community Support, 613-256-1031 ext 63 or email@example.com