French toast is a winner for any family at breakfast and has all the ingredients (fruit, egg and bread) to make a satisfying meal at breakfast.
- 6 to 7 slices day-old grain or white bread or any desired bread, sliced in half crosswise
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe bananas with rind mottled with black for more sweetness
- 2 large, roam-free eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup or sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 – 2 tbsp (15 – 30 ml) butter plus 1 to 2 tbsp (15 ml) oil (stops butter from burning)
Maple syrup for serving
- If bread slices are thick ¾-in (1 cm) or more, lay slice horizontal on hard surface; using serrated knife, slice bread in half crosswise. Half the bread slices and lay slices in a lasagne dish or bake pan large enough to hold the slices.
- Peel and halve bananas and place in food processor or blender with the eggs, syrup, milk, cinnamon and salt to blend until smooth. Pour banana mixture over the bread. Turn slices over so they are well coated and leave to soak at least 10 minutes.
- To fry the slices, add half the butter with the oil in heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook until golden brown on both sides about 3 minutes per side. Add more butter and oil as needed. Place cooked slices on a platter or on plates and serve warm.
- Serve maple syrup separately.