1. In Scotland, if the first person to enter the house on New Year’s day is a dark, young and good-looking male, this indicates a prosperous year, especially if he is carrying a lump of coal, a loaf of bread, or some salt. This can also be found in the North of England and the Isle of Man.
2. Japanese New Year’s traditions are a thoroughly clean house; all debts paid; any disagreements resolved. Just before midnight,108 bells are traditionally rung to symbolize the elimination of 108 troubles.
3. The next year in the Chinese Zodiac Calendar is The Year of the Snake
4. 1 Tishri is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.
5. The January birthstone is the garnet.