These delicious, gluten free brownies were created by Gail Hall in Edmonton and friend of many years, who is a Red Seal Chef (RSE) and Food Writer, Educator and owner of Seasoned Solutions’ Loft Cooking School,Culinary Tour in Edmonton
Makes 24 to 30 small brownies
- 1 cup (250 ml) cooked black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 large (free-range) egg
- 3 tbsp (45ml) extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) dark brown/demerara/muscovado sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup (125 ml) sweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 8” x 8” (20 X 20 cm) baking pan or line with parchment.
2. In a food processor, add black beans and blend to a smooth paste. Add the eggs and oil and pulse to combine. Add sugar, cocoa, ground almonds, vanilla and baking powder. Process until smooth and well combined. Add chopped chocolate and coconut and pulse to even distribute. Spoon into baking pan and smooth out with spatula.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick or bamboo skewer inserted, comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack. Slice into squares. Serve garnished with cocoa powder and icing sugar.