- 2 frozen lobster tails in the shell
- 1 qt (L) water, boiling
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) macaroni, uncooked
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- ½ onion, minced
- Pinch pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- ¾ cup (175 ml) finely grated cheddar, Swiss or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley or finely sliced green onion for garnishe.
1. Place lobster in the boiling salted water and cook 10 – 12 minutes. The shells will turn a bright orange colour. Carefully remove lobsters from the water and reserve the water for the pasta; cool enough to handle and begin to remove the lobster meat from the shells. If the meat does not come away easily from the shell, return lobster to the boiling water for another minute. Reserve the end shell for decoration if desired. Cut the lobster meat into bite-size pieces – about the size of half a whole walnut.
2. Bring the salted water back to the boil; add macaroni; allow pasta to boil about 8 minutes or until al dente or just until there is still a “bite”.
3. In another saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion about 2 minutes. Stir in pepper flakes and flour; leave to cook 2 minute; stir in the milk. Whisk until thickened and cook 2 minutes. Turn heat to low and add cheese stirring until melted. Taste for salt. Fold in the lobster pieces.
4. To serve, garnish with chopped parsley or green onion and the small lobster tail ends.