by Gay CookThis is a delicious and simply made red lentil soup with chopped fresh red bell pepper. The soup that cooks rather quickly and is great to warm up with the protein with our chilly weather that has now descended on us. Red lentils cooked much faster that the green or yellow lentils.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or part vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red bell pepper, seeded, chopped into small squares
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried red lentils
- 3 cups (740 ml) chicken, vegetable or beef stock or water
- Pinch chili pepper flakes or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter or oil in medium-sized saucpan on medium heat. Stir in the onion and red pepper to saute about 8 -10 minutes to bring out their flavour. Stir in the lentils and stock or water. Bring to a simmer and flavour with chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the soup to simmer about 18 to 20 minutes and lentils are tender. Taste for more salt and pepper if needed.