TYPS Almonte’s Youth Centre joined local community members, businesses, and community organizations in celebrating the incredible youth of Mississippi Mills for their achievements and growth during their Annual Night of Stars. Held on August 12, 2014, this event also marked the United Nations International Youth Day.
Since 1999, August 12 has marked International Youth Day. The theme of 2014’s celebrations is “Youth and Mental Health.” Just like TYPS’ Annual Night of Stars, International Youth Day focuses on bringing awareness about and highlighting the experiences of brave youth.
“Unlike the many other youth awards that happen across the County, this event really tries to recognize youth outside of the norm. Rather than focus on academic or athletic performance, we look at personal growth and achievements of youth from the past year,” shared TYPS’ Youth Services Coordinator Alyssa Comstock.
Bigger and better, this year’s event welcomed family, youth, and supporters to the North Lanark Agriculture Society Hall with a mocktail hour featuring homemade treats. The awards ceremony followed the hour of conversation.
“Our youth always take such pride in this event, both in themselves and in each other. We are always so proud to see them supporting each other. This is a total surprise for them. They know that something special is happening, but they don’t know who or for what anyone has been nominated,” continued Comstock.
A total of thirteen individual and one group award were given out over the course of the evening. This year, local businesses were also invited to support the youth of Mississippi Mills, and this special event, by sponsoring a star. Staff also used star sponsorship as an opportunity to recognize the contributions of a number of incredible local partners.
TYPS Almonte’s Youth Centre would like to recognize the following youth, businesses, and partners:
- Austin Giles – Big Brother Award
- Heidi Essery – Keep Calm and Carry On Award – sponsored by Soul Scents
- Ashley Thibeault – Rising Above Adversity Award – sponsored by Kentfield Kids
- Ashton MacDonald – Depth Over Distance Award – sponsored by General Fine Arts & Craft
- Roxi Bonds – The Resilience and Justice Award – sponsored by the Lanark County OPP
- Shayla Sheppard-Flowers – Grace Under Pressure Award
- Brandon Wellman – Step Up Leadership Award – sponsored by Lola and Dot Studios
- Amber Smith – Even Keel Award – sponsored by JB Arts
- Johnny Sheppard-Flowers – Passion for Kayaking Award
- Seb Tellier-Allen – Passion for BMX Award
- Dustin Hall – Four Corners: Exemplary Achievement & Personal Growth Award
- Barry Smith – Chef’s Award
- Brooklyn Gleeson-Huckstep – Game On Award for Exemplary Youth Centre Volunteer
- Brooke Spinks, Kelsi Smith, Hunter Labelle – Exemplary Achievements in Fundraising – sponsored by The Hub
TYPS Almonte’s Youth Centre provides youth between the ages of 12 and 18 with inclusive social and developmental programs and opportunities in a supportive environment. Twice weekly cooking programs, monthly dances, weekly scrapbooking sessions, regular guest speakers, and so much more grace the Centre’s programming schedule. For more information about upcoming special events and regular programming, you can find out more on Facebook (www.facebook.com/typsalmonte), on Twitter (www.twitter.com/typsalmonte), or on their website (www.typsyouthcentre.org).