by Gay Cook
Serves 6 – 7
I had a sneak preview and sample of the salad made by owner/chef Dave Neil of The Piggy Market and I can say it was one of the tastiest potato salads I have eaten. It’s full of flavour and colour. “I love the Harvest Table as a great opportunity to sample food from the local markets and chefs.” says Neill. The Jamaican scallions are larger than the usual scallions grown in this area.
- 5 lbs (2½ kg) Red potatoes with skins, cubed
- 7 hard boiled eggs from Beking Roam-Free eggs
- 3 bunches Jamaican scallions, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped dill
- ½ bunch chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup (50 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) De Arbo hot sauce (in-house sauce)
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) Hungarian paprika
- 2 cups (500 ml) mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the cubes in saucepan with cold water. Bring to boil, cover, turn off heat and leave potatoes to sit for 5 minutes. Drain and place in a salad bowl.
2. Cut eggs in quarters and place on top of potatoes. Add scallions, celery, dill, parsley, mustard, hot sauce, paprika and mayonnaise. Gently stir with a wood spoon until combined. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and again gently stir into salad.
If you have any questions about a recipe or other food question, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 613-728-3253