Answers to Diana’s Quiz – May 18, 2013
- Emil Zatopek was named the best runner of all time by Runners’ World on February 28 of this year. It had been a very long and arduous process coming to this decision.
- “In the seaport of St Malo ’twas a smiling morn in May/when the commodore Jacques Cartier to the westward sailed away” (May 19, 1535, to be exact. It was his second voyage). From the poem by Thomas D’Arcy McGee.
- In 1901, Jokichi Takamine discovered adrenaline, also known as epinephrine.
- In Gilbert and Sullivan’s ”The Gondoliers”, one of two brothers is the rightful king but it is not known which, so they reign as ”the king”. They sing ”Rising Early in the Morning” together about their functions as constitutional monarch.
- Regina, Saskatchewan, is named for Queen Victoria.